It’s Episode 9! The internet is swimming in bullshit and feel-goodery, and we’re here to talk about that. First, Upworthy’s clickbait headlines have saturated Facebook, whether the underlying stories are true or not. Then, there are a bunch of people creating their own mini reality shows using Twitter, also becoming popular whether they’re true or not. Finally, an update on Wikipedia vandalism, a ridiculous (local!) car chase, and the first ever selfie. Join us, won’t you?
Relevant links (some are possibly NSFW):
- Beautiful cricket music! (and the Snopes article about it)
- A dad’s letter to his gay son, and the shades of truth within
- The story I wrongly kept mentioning during that segment
- The viral receipt hoax
- That really great article from The New Inquiry
- Mike Daisey and his Apple story
- On whether that one Gawker commenter’s story can be trusted
- Radiolab on imagining problems complexly
- Rooftop Breakup
- Elan Gale’s “epic note passing” (yuck)
- …was a lie!
- OUR OWN PODCAST on Internet Folk Heroes
- Ex-NSA head gets live-tweeted
- Liv Sandven
- The dumbest police chase this internet person has ever seen
- The first selfie in history
- Our Theme Music: “The Adventure Lights,” by Skip Cloud
- Also featuring “Friend of Mine” by the French Girls and “Did I Miss Something Right Now?” by Roads.